Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Pause.... And Walk Away

It's always nice when someone points out encouraging habits you may possess. I like to hear my praises sung. Who doesn't? You know... things like "Gee Beav you're a swell guy." However, (here I purposely avoided the use of the word but since it is often the cause of much trouble) My sweet husband has pointed out to me one not so glorifying habit of mine. Not that this is the only one by any means! Ya see the thing is that I talk a lot. No shocker there. I not only talk a lot but I like to talk to several people at the same time and not necessarily about the same topic or even in the same conversation! Confused? Let me break it down. Let's say I was talking to "Pam" about her weekend and how she had a plumbing problem. And then I see "Melissa" who I haven't seen in ages walk up and start talking to "Julie". So now Pam and I are having a conversation and Melissa and Julie are also. Here's where it gets tricky. I am now talking to Pam and listening intently simultaneously to Melissa and Julie. I have caught every word of it. And now I realize Melissa, who I haven't seen in forever, is leaving. Yikes! Pam and I are still talking and we are also wrapping things up. At least I think we are. We have a pause in our conversation and I choose to initiate a conversation with Melissa. I have not said excuse me to Pam or goodbye even. I just walk away and start talking to Melissa. So it goes from "So anyway I got my father in law to fix the sink. " And in my mind I hear "pause, conversation wrapped up, concluding statement" TO "Hey Melissa!" This is what my husband pointed out to me. And I have aptly named "pausing and walking away". Of course the part about me having multiple conversations is also true but I fear far too complicated to explain at this time. Because I have already depleted a serious amount of your time messing with your head about this first issue. I hope you are not thinking that I for a second was not completely engaged in my conversation. It's just that my skill set as an interpreter has created this undying ability. Also, it's rather efficient and fun! I know I am not the only woman out there that does this! Also, I am going to work on saying things like " excuse me " and "pardon me" and " good bye" before I walk away. Pause...

No comments: