Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sleeping till Noon!

Oh heavens! Are you kidding me? I should have known life would change forever when I officially became a minivan driving mom. I naively believed it was just a convenient and a great way to haul off large unwanted items to the Salvation Army. (Which by the way does not accept light fixtures or ceiling fans.) Not to mention carpooling with the kiddos. And oh how I looked forward to taking road trips and being able to seat the children far enough behind me that I didn't hear their arguing!

But now It looks like the minivan was just foreshadowing what was to come. Last week we learned that our school tuition for our girls was going to triple! Yikes!!!!! While we are still prayerfully considering our limited options. We are entertaining the thought homeschooling them next year! I won't get into all the details and funny anecdotes with which I could fill this post. I will save those for a later date.

Today, I will share with you the diversity in homeschooling which I previously knew existed but had not experienced myself. While I was freakishly, I mean fervently researching information on homeschooling... I thought to myself the best thing to do is to go straight to the source. So naturally, I contacted my Aunt who is a homeschooling mother of four. We had a lengthy discussion regarding this new world for me and she imparted much wisdom. However, I am only pointing out one aspect of that conversation which I found most... hmmm.... interesting. My Aunt said "the first thing I need to do is to train my kids to sleep till noon."
The next call I made was to a homeschooling friend who also imparted much wisdom. Her "first" thing to do was to select a home school covering and then our curriculum. Wow at the contrast! Of course my aunt said I needed to do these things as well. I just found it amusing how the differences in personality impact their homeschooling theology, if you will. For those of you who know me you will understand how completely freaked out I would be at the prospect of sleeping until noon. Of course, (I use that phrase far too exceedingly) sleeping till noon is just a analogy of having a more relaxed method of instruction. Which is by no means less efficacious. However, my personality is more aligned with that of my friend who gave me clearly definable paths of achievement.
Things that can be met with completion of paper work. This I am good at! I can complete great deals of paper work. Although, the core of my being has a great disdain for said paper. That's because for some reason paper work is inevitably attached to proving one thing or another. Things like... "why yes I can drive or love or be a good parent or wife or mother or candlestick maker" And while I appreciate paper work's worthiness I severely dislike having to actually prove the things I know. Wouldn't it just be so pleasant to be able to say to a person, company, supervisor, school... "Yes I do know how to add." Without having to actually take a test to proove it. Wait a m i n u t e, isn't that what politicians do all the time? hmm Something to ponder. And there-in-lies the rub! So here I am set off on a path with conflicting direction and eagerly looking forward to the future God has planned for me.

No comments: